Last week my coworker broke her leg. She broke both her fibula and tibia. OUCH! She is unable to use the fun little scooter like what Jay used when he broke his foot.
She is stuck with crutches for the next 6-8 weeks. I feel bad for her because I know what it’s like to be on crutches. My ankles weren’t the best so there were a few incidents when I was younger.
Last Friday my coworker mentioned that she would like a bag for her crutches so that she could attempt to get things for herself. She had found one on Amazon so I had her send me the link. I told her that I could make something similar, so I gave it a shot.
I found a guideline tutorial online, looked at the bag on Amazon, and then made my own judgement calls. After the week I’d had, I really needed some “Me” time. Jay had to work on Saturday so I hermited. Every time I hermit I realize just how much I love it! Anyway, back to the bag.
I wanted it to hang low enough that it wouldn’t get in the way of her fingers curling around the grip. It also needed to be big enough to hold her water bottle that she uses. I added a front pocket so that she wouldn’t have to dig for her phone.
I wanted to use fabric with a bit of structure to it. I had some canvas that I hauled out, but then I spotted this left-over upholstery vinyl that I had used to cover our bar stools. I figured not only would it be sturdy and hold up to some wear, but it also looks nice.
The straps stumped me a bit, but I think that I got them figured out. I did end up having to fold up the bottom straps a bit and hand stitch them at work after trying it on her crutch. They were just a bit too long. Overall it turned out okay. I wasn’t overly happy with how it turned out, but I can see every flaw so that doesn’t help.
Considering the level of supervision that I had while working on this you would have thought that it would have turned out better!